Wednesday 10 November 2010

What does your Googling say about you?

I can't claim that this was my idea, alas, but a friend of a friend (of a friend) found the place where Google Ads tells you what it thinks you like based on what you've searched for.

Google Ads Preferences

I tested this with both IE and Firefox on my work computer. On Firefox it actually guessed my gender (correctly - some of my friends weren't so lucky, but I guess that's what happens when you hang out with female physicists).

Here's my IE page:

Google tells me who I am


Most of it makes sense to me. Music, definitely. Travel - historical sites and buildings makes a lot of sense since I've recently been to Rome for visiting exactly those things. History, biography, both things I use for work frequently.

But I have no idea where Autos & Vehicles - Vehicle Brands - Jeep comes from! It makes me wonder what on earth I must have searched for that to have appeared. Not only that, but that was one of the few that appeared in both my Firefox results and my IE results. The plot thickens...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Thoughts

Made it! So, in the end, what do I think? Image by Ralf Kunze from Pixabay I did this as a way of trying to stay connected with my l...