Tuesday 13 July 2010

Far Flung Flickring

These are the images from my searches on Flickr. So far this is all I have done for this particular thing. I found I had to be quite specific in my searches and I was surprised by the search results when I searched for "fita star", a particular kind of badge you can achieve in archery - fewer than half of the images on the first page were actually relevant, and quite a few were about shoes! Out of interest I Googled for images with the same search terms and came up with much more relevant results... I haven't set up an account with Flickr yet, but I might well end up doing so. It's one of those things I kept meaning to do, but not being much of a photographer (and only recently getting a digital camera) I haven't felt the need to be all that pressing.

Finally, a question to muse upon: Idlethink's pictures of the UL violated Library Syndicate rules, which forbid photography, but the resulting pictures are beautiful records of the building and its treasures. How would you feel if you came across similar pictures of your library?
I'm a bit pedantic by nature, and I follow rules as a whole. My personal opinion is that if you want to take a photo so badly, you should ask permission - there's no harm trying (particularly if it's for study purposes). There are often good (and maybe less good) reasons why you can't take photos of libraries, or galleries and museums, or people's places of work, or events - copyright issues, trade secrets, over-zealous subscription to child protection laws, damage to the item being photographed...

If someone had taken photos in our library without permission and posted them on the internet, I think I would ask for them to be removed and the photos deleted. However, I'm not sure what I would do if they ignored my request. Therefore I was quite pleased to see there weren't many photos from the inside of my building on flickr!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Thoughts

Made it! So, in the end, what do I think? Image by Ralf Kunze from Pixabay I did this as a way of trying to stay connected with my l...