Tuesday 6 July 2010

Twittering about Twitter

I've now had a bit of a play with Twitter. I've signed up to follow various people, and a few have responded in kind. I've logged in a few times this week to check it out and have a play, and when this blogpost is finished I shall be tweeting about that too.
I've become fairly comfortable using it. The use of only 140 characters wasn't too bad for me, though it is shorter than a text message! However, I did notice that a number of the conversations made use of a lot of abbreviations I didn't recognise. The slightly more chatty, less formal ones I was able to decipher largely with Urban Dictionary's help, and gradually I muddled my way through. On the whole, I can see this as being a good way to keep in touch with the latest news. It's very "drop-in, drop-out" and relaxed in a way I wasn't expecting.

I don't see myself as being much of a personal twitterer (or twit?), simply because I usually have very little of interest to say, and that's best left to Facebook status updates with which I can spam my friends! The other minor issue I had was that my work doesn't support use of Flash, so all the really interesting-looking links ended up taking me to blank pages! But I suppose use of Flash is a gripe for another day ;)

However, I'm going to strongly recommend that my work use Twitter as a way to publicise events. Ultimately, it's another way to increase presence on the internet, and that would be great for work, since there are often lots of things going on in the general institution which could use the extra publicity. Things like new exhibitions, talks and concerts - these would definitely be things worth tweeting about.

All in all, a greater success than I was expecting.

EDIT [19/07/2010]
I discovered recently that my work is on Twitter. However, it could only be found going direct from work's website (which I never use), and searching for it on Twitter in the "find people" option drew a complete blank. So much for web presence =\

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Thoughts

Made it! So, in the end, what do I think? Image by Ralf Kunze from Pixabay I did this as a way of trying to stay connected with my l...