Saturday 14 August 2010

All Linked Out

The big push is getting to me now, and just whizzing through the tasks for LinkedIn left me exhausted. I'm not sure what I think of this yet, and I have to say I'm reluctant to join it to further explore its features. Maybe if I had a CV with lots of flashy stuff on I might be less disinclined. I also wouldn't pay for it (I'm an old skool interwebber, who doesn't believe in paying for anything on the internet if I can avoid it - thank Tim Berners-Lee for that mindset).

Links (see what I did there?) Image from Chris Fitz on Flickr

I can see that if it was the place to go to look for people to make contact with, it might be worth it, but I'll be honest - I'd only heard of it because one of my university friends with whom I lost contact (and horror of horrors isn't on Facebook) was on there. I didn't join then - partly because, as a lot of others are finding now, I'm suffering account overload (yes, I have taken to writing down all my passwords, but in a secret code that no one will figure out, mwahaha). Profiles for this, registration for that - I feel like thirty different people once I'm logged in to everything.

LinkedIn might be more useful if more people used it. That sounds nonsensical, but it makes sense in a success-breeds-success sort of way. I guess that there are probably fields of work that utilise it well, but while it hasn't really captured the imagination of the general library populace (and it hasn't, from what I've read of others' posts), it doesn't seem to offer an awful lot to make it worth my using it yet.

Having said that, if I ever do finish my degree, who knows? When I've got something wonderful to actually put up there, I might actually register. Then I might get in touch with that friend too...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Thoughts

Made it! So, in the end, what do I think? Image by Ralf Kunze from Pixabay I did this as a way of trying to stay connected with my l...