Thursday 12 August 2010

Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.

Happy Hump Day! I have reached more than halfway in the 23 Things programme, and it's getting easier to be strict with myself and get it all done - I think blasting through, rather than doing a little bit here and there each week, is definitely my style. Heh, as far as I'm concerned, if it wasn't for the last minute, nothing would get done!

I've used LibraryThing before - a friend of mine happened to mention a book he'd read when he was younger, but he could barely remember the plot, much less the title or author. I thought this sounded like the sort of challenge a librarian could tackle, and a friend on the librarianship course I'm on mentioned that LibraryThing had a forum for exactly this kind of question. Registration, posting of the question and a few hours later, I had the answer - and a very grateful friend.

Where I think I like LibraryThing over other web 2.0 Things is in its demographic. The forum is so much fun to browse - I spent literally hours chuckling over one debate which discussed at great length what people thought was the worst children's book. The best part - the almost total absence of trolls and flames in what could have been a heated debate but instead remained erudite and well-reasoned discussion.

Anyway, I explored LibraryThing a litle bit more. I took the tour. I read the articles. I hadn't considered its use in libraries as an alternative to a cataloguing client, nor the use of the folksonomical tags as subject searches rather than my own pet hate, Library of Congress, but I can see advantages in using both these things in a number of cases.

I shall explore a bit more, then blog a bit later. But now it's time to go home. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Thoughts

Made it! So, in the end, what do I think? Image by Ralf Kunze from Pixabay I did this as a way of trying to stay connected with my l...