Tuesday 17 August 2010

Podcasting: Part the Second

Following my exploration of podcasting, I decided it really needed a post of its own. Out of all the 23 Things, this really has been the most complicated so far. Having watched the Common Craft Show's explanation, I reckoned I vaguely had an idea in principle what podcasting was, but couldn't quite work out how it knew when to download next installments. I then - finally! - received my new speakers at home, so then I watched the Common Craft video - this time with sound! It made a bit more sense (surprisingly), and I was confident that yes, I understood the principle behind podcasting.

That was all well and good, but now I had to listen to some podcasts, and I found I didn't quite know where to start. Now, I have a completely irrational prejudice against Apple, so I really didn't want to approach this problem via iTunes. But what was my alternative? This is what Cam23 said:
How do I listen to a podcast?
By downloading them to your iPod or MP3 player, or by listening to/viewing them directly on your PC. If you already use Apple's iTunes software go to the Podcasts section of the iTunes Music Store. Alternatively you might want to use a service like Odeo which allows you to play podcasts from their web pages without downloading.
I went several times to Odeo's website, but never saw anything but this page:


I was stuck - then inspiration struck. Good old Auntie. Right next to the button for "podcast home" on the BBC page was the button for "podcast help". I found the information there to be pitched just right for thickos like me, and there were links to iTunes, Zune and Zencast. However, I couldn't find a way of downloading Zune onto anything that wasn't an Xbox, I'd already decided against iTunes and Zencast looked to be quite spammy (my internet security software informed me within seconds of landing on the site that it had already protected me from at least one Trojan). I then found the BBC podcast FAQ, and again avoiding iTunes (I will not succumb!!), I had a look at Juice.
Juice. Image from PicturePurrfect685 on Flickr.

What bothered me about Juice was that the software hadn't been updated since 2005, and was ostensibly only compatible with Windows 2000 or XP. I run Windows 7 at home (through no fault of my own, I happen to live with a CompSci), so a quick search on Google for "Juice", "compatibility" and "Windows 7" threw up a couple of pages with simple instructions for fixing it. I found the instructions on Spiceworks to be short and simple, and having followed them, I was finally able to start subscribing to podcasts!!

While this all probably sounds very convoluted and confusing, on the whole I was okay with it. Having to tweak the program files meant I engaged with the software on a deeper level, so I have a much clearer idea of how it actually works. However, until I find a podcast to which I would actually consider subscribing, and a portable device actually worth using (I have a very old phone which will play mp4 files, but the headphone socket is totally knackered and I have no intention of annoying the other passengers on the bus into work!), I think I will be perfectly content to simply listen to the podcasts while sitting at my computer at home.

Right. That aside, what do I think of podcasting's use in the library context? I listened to a few from the University of Aberdeen and the British Library, and I was impressed. Students missed the tour at the start of the year? No problem - they can find a time to suit them and do it themselves! In fact, what makes it even better is that usually the beginning of the year is marked by total information overload, so being able to come back a few weeks later, once you've settled in, to remind yourself of everything you'd forgotten that the library does, is so much better than having to bother the staff!

Meanwhile, discussion of exhibitions can really add something new when you're visiting a gallery - and while many museums have audio guides now, by downloading the podcasts in advance you can really plan your visit thoroughly. The museum where I work has a variety of podcasts available on current and past exhibitions, so the resource is there if I ever want to have a go at creating my own (alas, I have no microphone at home so I can't subject you all to my piano-playing). But for the moment, I think I've spent long enough investigating podcasts, and now it's time to watch Maru.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Thoughts

Made it! So, in the end, what do I think? Image by Ralf Kunze from Pixabay I did this as a way of trying to stay connected with my l...