Friday 17 April 2020

Library Building


Aaaaaand I've managed to get behind - a combination of too much work and too many children! There was a nosebleed today, so that was half the afternoon gone. But no matter.

Courtyard Entrance of the Fitz
There's not much to say about my own library building - it's pretty modern, not very exciting. Mind, better to be warm in winter and chill in summer in a modern building than the opposite in a pretty but old building that is not designed with comfort in mind! Founder's Library is beautiful, looks just like an educated person's study, but it's not the most comfortable place to work.

Founders Library
So, I have visited other libraries, both in Cambridge and further afield. I think the Library of Congress is probably the furthest afield, and is absolutely amazing, and  holds a copy of the Gutenberg Bible, but I did love the New York Public Library, which contains the original toys that belonged to Christopher Robin.

New York Public Library
But buildings-wise both the Library of Congress and the New York Public Library are a fairly generic sort of Hellenic style. It's grand, certainly, but perhaps a little dull? And I had to laugh when we went on the Library of Congress tour. The guide warned us to be careful on the marble staircase, which was over a hundred years old and worn unevenly - I couldn't help but think of some colleges which had been around a bit longer than that with steps which have worn away to nothing!

Main entrance hall of Library of Congress

Entrance to Jesus College - very worn!
A few years back, I was at a conference which had a visit to the John Rylands Library included. That was fascinating, because on the face of it, the building is absolutely fantastic. It's Victorian neo-Gothic, rather like the classic London stations, but so peculiar, because we have actual Gothic buildings around. One look at this, and it feels like a stage set - it's all far too new to look convincing!

John Rylands Library
That was the same feeling for me when I visited the Cloisters (not a library, but bear with me). The building was basically constructed using parts from Gothic ruins across Europe - some from Spain, some from Germany, some from France. It was lovely, but bizarre, a sort of chimera of not-quite-right, and made for a very unsettling feeling!

Cloisters
So instead it's the old college libraries I love, with wooden panels, ornately carved architraves and  ceilings. There's often a greater quirkiness to them, and no two are alike. I've visited a few, and don't think I have a particular favourite, but I have a bit of a soft spot for Christ's, since it was where I had  a rehearsal once, and definitely makes the grade as one of the prettiest places I've ever rehearsed!

Christ's College Old Library

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Thoughts

Made it! So, in the end, what do I think? Image by Ralf Kunze from Pixabay I did this as a way of trying to stay connected with my l...