Tuesday 21 April 2020

Misconceptions

I really feel like we're getting to the home stretch now - two thirds done!

So, misconceptions. I think there are several massive misconceptions about libraries and library staff, so stop me if you've heard any of them:

  1. Working in a library is all shushing and stamping
  2. You work in a library? How wonderful, I'd love to read books all day!
  3. The typical librarian (see also Fashion, which I'll be talking about on 25th) - female, spinster, wears cardigans, glasses and hair in a bun. Loves cats.
That's enough to be getting on with, I think! Right, let's tackle them one at a time...

Shushing and stamping


My four stamps!

Okay, I'll accept the stamping part - I got four of the dang things! But as everyone who's ever worked in a library knows, it's not the librarians who do the shushing - it's the readers ;) Seriously though, there's no space behind the scenes for me to do my work, so if I have to talk to people, on the phone or in person, I have to do it in the library. And in lots of libraries it's quite common to see areas for silent study, quiet study and group study nowadays. And have you been to the public library during Rhyme Time?!

Reading books

Last year I attempted a "19 for 19" - I would read 19 books, watch 19 films, play 19 gigs, cook 19 dishes/bake 19 cakes, finish 19 craft projects... I successfully completed 19 films, and that was it. I read 3 books last year. Three. And one of those I'd read before!

At work, I don't really read at all. I read to keep up with current trends and see what's happening in the library world (Twitter is very useful here), and then the bare minimum when cataloguing in order to classify something correctly. There are people who work in libraries and read all day. They're called researchers!

The Typical Librarian


Desk Set (1957) starring Katherine Hepburn as a librarian
Alright, there's a kernel of truth in this one, bound up in a lot of fiction, assumption and subversion. So yes, historically, being a librarian was a respectable job for a single woman. Because it's a service industry, it's female-dominated and poorly paid (female-dominated until you get to the higher echelons, anyway, grr...). The spinster thing - yes, if you were single, you had to work. Mind you, given what seems to me a high number of LGBTQ+ people in libraries around (I know probably 30-50 library workers in libraries in Cambridge, and maybe a third of them are LGBTQ+), I wonder whether librarianship is just diversity-friendly? Maybe of those spinsters, there were some who had no intention of finding a man to settle down with...

The cardigans - most of us would be overdressed in a suit, and cardigans don't mess with your hair when you put them on. The glasses, yes, that happens a lot, and frankly so do the cats - I'm seeing a lot of them now we're all working from home! So I guess this is not so much of a misconception after all. Which is interesting, because I see a lot of library staff getting huffy online complaining about how they don't fit this stereotype, when actually, a lot of us kinda do. What I think the problem is, largely, is that the stereotype is somehow a negative portrayal of a person. But why's that?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Thoughts

Made it! So, in the end, what do I think? Image by Ralf Kunze from Pixabay I did this as a way of trying to stay connected with my l...